Waste Removal & Recycling for Syracuse, New York & Surrounding Areas
Trash & Recyclables
You may reside in an area of Onondaga or Madison County where the disposal of trash and recycling is your responsibility (collection and disposal is not included as part of your property taxes).
It is your decision to select a hauler to handle the collection and disposal of trash and recycling. Often this decision is based upon price and the reliability of service, which is why many of your neighbors use Syracuse Haulers.
Since you subscribe to service to collect your trash and recycling, you are referred to by the hauler as a “subscription customer”.
For pricing and details about collection in your area, contact Syracuse Haulers. Each resident receives weekly collection of trash and recycling, along with the use of a 65-gallon or 95-gallon wheeled trash cart.
- Residents of Madison County are provided with a black Syracuse Haulers recycling bin.
- Refer to “Holiday Schedules” to identify those holidays where there is a one-day delay in collection.
- All trash and recyclables must be placed curbside or at the edge of the pavement in front of each property the night before or prior to 6 a.m. on your designated collection day.
- Collection takes place between the hours of 6 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Make sure that your recycling is clearly separated from your trash.
- Each resident is provided with either a 65-gallon or 95-gallon wheeled trash cart. You are entitled to fill this cart with household trash each week. Excess quantities will not be collected.
- Each resident is provided with either a 65-gallon or 95-gallon wheeled recycle cart. You are entitled to fill this cart with loose recyclables each week. Excess quantities will not be collected.
- Cardboard boxes should be broken down and flattened. Large size cardboard should be cut down to measure no larger than 3 ft long by 3 ft wide.
- Large amounts of cardboard, which do not fit in a blue bin, should be tied in bundles no bigger than 3 ft long by 3 ft wide.
- If there is trash (or non-recyclables) in your recycling bins, then the container may not be emptied. Often, such materials are tagged with an orange “Oops” sticker, referencing why the items were not collected.
The following categories of items are NOT collected as part of the trash and recycling contract. You may contact Syracuse Haulers to arrange for pickup, for an extra fee:
- Yard waste, such as lawn trimmings, branches, logs, brush, or leaves.
- Construction or demolition debris.
- Electronic waste, such as TV’s, audio/video equipment, etc. As of January 1, 2015, we will no longer be accepting E-waste for special pickup.
- Auto parts, appliances, furniture, carpeting, pool covers, etc.
- Hazardous and flammable materials, such as petroleum products, pesticides, liquid paint, fluorescent tubes, etc. (Please see www.ocrra.org [in Onondaga County] or www.madisoncounty.ny.gov [in Madison County] for details on how to responsibly dispose of such items.)